Let’s talk homemade desserts today, or more specifically these 3 ingredient peanut butter cups!
When I think about food waste, I don’t really think about dessert food waste. Probably because desserts aren’t usually wasted in our house. Michael is a big ice cream person and buys only what he’ll eat. I lean more toward dark chocolate and too, tend to know exactly what I want and will finish.
However, every once in a while, curiosity takes over and I buy something out of the ordinary that isn’t instantly loved and gobbled right up. That’s what happened with a chocolate bar from Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago. I usually get another brand of dark chocolate but on a whim bought a new one. I didn’t love it and knew I wasn’t going to eat it plain.
That’s when I thought to melt it down and create something new.
These 3 ingredient chocolate peanut butter cups are super simple. I mean really simple. All they require are a few minutes, a microwave and a freezer. That’s it!
I even timed myself to see how long they actually take to make. I ended of texting a few friends while the timer was running without realizing it so if you aren’t distracted and can focus, I bet these wouldn’t take more than 15 minutes from start to freezer.
3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cups
- 2.5 ounces of chocolate (any chocolate can be used here: white, milk, dark, vegan)
- 1 teaspoon raw coconut butter, softened
- 8 teaspoons peanut butter (crunchy or smooth works equally well)
- Large flake sea salt (optional)
- Line 8 mini muffin tins with mini muffin cups.
- Place a small bit of softened coconut butter on your finger and grease the inside of the muffin cup ever so slightly to prevent sticking. I didn't do this the first time around and it wasn't a huge deal but they do come out easier if you grease the paper first.
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1:30 to 2 minutes, stopping at each 30 second interval to stir.
- Remove when completely melted and add softened coconut butter, stirring to combine.
- Place a spoonful of chocolate in each cup. Make sure the chocolate is evenly spread out.
- Place in the freezer for 2-3 minutes until slightly hardened.
- Next place a teaspoon of peanut butter in each cup.
- Pour another spoonful of chocolate over the peanut butter. Spread chocolate evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes before eating. Store in the freezer.