I can’t believe I’m saying this but I sort of forgot about quinoa. I don’t know if it’s the season but I just haven’t been cooking with it much, besides to make these again. However, when we were in the city over the weekend we stumbled into this amazing little cafe in the Marina called Seed + Salt. Everything in there is gluten-free and they had some of the best bread I’ve ever tasted. While perusing the menu, their coconut quinoa porridge leapt out at me. I didn’t buy it but thought it would be a really easy meal to make at home, which I always need more of.
One of the things I struggle with as a stay at home mom (besides that phrase, ugh) is feeding myself. Sitting down to eat anything when Noe is awake is impossible. She’s all over the place and will really only sit in her high chair for about 5 minutes. This leaves me grabbing something quick in the morning and usually eating it standing up in the kitchen. So, when she goes down for her nap in the afternoon I’m more than ready to sit down to something delicious. But, I also have about 600 other things I want to do during nap time and love a quick lunch. That’s what makes this so perfect.
It can be made ahead of time.
It only takes about 15 minutes to make.
And, it’s baby approved. I gave her some yesterday after she woke up from her nap.
The coconut quinoa porridge is versatile and can be mixed with any toppings. I added freshly grilled peaches since they are still in season for another week or two. No joke, my first bite of the peaches had me saying “oh my god” out loud so I highly suggest them. Otherwise, the toppings are really up to you.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 peaches
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Rinse quinoa and place in a pot with coconut milk and salt.
- Bring quinoa and coconut milk mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- While quinoa cooks, slice peaches in half, remove the pits, then place directly on the grill for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove peaches from grill and let cool.
- Place quinoa in serving bowls.
- Zest orange and chop almonds.
- Top quinoa with grilled peaches, orange zest, almonds and flaked coconut.
Today’s Makings Of Small Step: Has quinoa fallen off your radar? Consider bringing it back into rotating.