Last week I shared my favorite warm weather lunch on Instagram, a curried chickpea salad wrap. A bunch of people reached out and asked if the recipe was on my blog. Naively I said yes, which was partly true. One of my very first posts ever, on my original blog, was of a curried chickpea salad sandwich, some 5 years ago!
However, somewhere in the transition from the old blog to the new one, I deleted the recipe and left behind a terrible post with two very bad photos and a little blurb about how much I used to like tuna salad sandwiches before I went vegetarian and how these are a great substitute.
Needless to say, the post needed a refresher, stat.
Over the years this recipe has taken on some iterations. Most notably, I’ve been using vegan mayo in the chickpea mix, but, when I thought back on the original recipe I remembered that I used to use blended up cashews.
Friends, let me tell you, I was on to something way back when, the cashews take this over the top!
The mayo will still make for a perfectly delicious salad, if you’re pressed for time, but really it’s only an extra 5 minutes, so I highly suggest the cashews.
Below is the new and improved recipe for the curried chickpea salad itself.
As pictured above, I put the curried chickpeas in a wrap with micro greens, avocado, these pickled radishes and some romaine. But it would be equally as tasty on a bed of spinach or scooped up onto a tortilla chip.
I somehow forgot how good (and versatile) this recipe is. We’re all loving it, Michael included, I saw him finish off the leftovers from Noe’s dinner the other night when he thought I wasn’t watching!
So, long story short, no, there was no recipe for this curried chickpea salad on the blog, but there is now. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Curried Chickpea Salad
- ¼ cup cashews or ¼ cup vegan mayo but I recommend the cashews
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained completely
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let sit for 5 minutes then drain. Place cashews and ¼ cup water into a high speed blender until smooth (about a minute).
- Place cashew mixture and all remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- Using the pulse button, pulse 10 or so times then scrap down the sides.
- Pulse another 10 times until mixture is combine. It should be crumbly and stick together but not smooth like hummus.
- Eat in a wrap, as a sandwich or as a salad on a bed of lettuce.