A couple of months ago I was watching the Today show and they were making Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies. I liked the sound of them but hadn’t gotten around to making them until this morning. Healthy chocolate chip quinoa cookies at 8am, ’tis the season.
I made a few changes to the recipe, namely cutting it in half. Now that only I can eat the gluten-free oats I knew I’d never be able to eat 24 cookies on my own.
- 2 frozen bananas, thawed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup shredded or flaked coconut
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Thaw frozen bananas or use very ripe ones. Mash with a fork in a big bowl. Add vanilla, peanut butter, salt and sugar. Mix.
- Add oats, cooked quinoa and shredded coconut. Mix again.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Grease a cookie sheet and drop cookies on tray.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler and I love that it calls for unused quinoa which I usually have on hand.
These would be great with raisins instead of chocolate chips, sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter, or ginger and cinnamon for a holiday themed cookie. I’m thinking of this as the basic recipe for a variety of different cookies.
With so many rich, buttery treats this time of year, it’s nice to have something on the lighter side.
On a totally unrelated note, I had to share some pictures of my run yesterday evening. I caught so many beautiful shots of the sun setting, unbelievably pretty.