Hello from the middle of summer! How did that happen? Our weather is really mild so we don’t get crazy hot days, we don’t have air conditioning and it cools down so much at night that there are only a handful of evenings when we even think about sleeping with the windows open. For the most part this is wonderful but I do miss the long, lazy, hot summer days in Denver when the heat would get almost unbearable around 3, just for the thunderclouds to roll in, open up, cool everything down and disappear as quickly as they came.
I get a little nostalgic for the seasons, if you can’t already tell. But just because there’s no real summer to be had for us, doesn’t mean it’s that way for everyone else so I thought I’d pop in with a summer favorite, potato salad. I know I posted another potato salad recipe pretty recently but this one is special.
It’s the product of a few missteps while cooking that turned my ordinary potato salad into mashed potato potato salad! A potato salad to live between seasons, kind of like we do here.
Let me start with the happy accidents that got us to this mashed potato potato salad in the first place.
It started with me buying a mix of red potatoes and gold creamer potatoes.
Then I made the mistake of cooking everything in one pot at the same time. Turns out the red potatoes need a bit more cooking time and the creamer potatoes a bit less.
Then I couldn’t wait for the potatoes to cool down completely until I mixed them with everything else.
The warmth, the slightly overcooked creamer potatoes and the stirring of said warm/overcooked potatoes turned my little creamers into mashed potatoes while the red potatoes stayed intact.
Not one to waste food or worry over a little deviation in plans, I just went with it and I’m so glad I did. Turns out that mashed potato potato salad is crazy good.
I added my usual dill and celery to these but omitted the standard green onions, instead taking a page from my mother-in-law’s playbook and adding chopped gherkins. I absolutely adored this potato salad and I’m not even much of a potato salad fan.
Here’s to missteps, mistakes and cooking accidents that turn normal recipes into something extraordinary, when we least expect it.
Now, off in my down vest with my cup of tea to pick up the girl in the middle of July.
Mashed Potato Potato Salad (vegan, gluten free)
- 1 pound red potatoes, rinsed and diced
- 1 pound gold creamer potatoes, rinsed and diced
- 4 big stalks of celery, diced
- 15 gherkin pickles, diced
- ¼ cup dill, chopped finely
- Juice of two lemons, approximately ¼ cup
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic
- ½ cup vegan mayo (optional)
- Chop potatoes and place in a pot of boiling water. Add a teaspoon of salt to flavor the water.
- Cook potatoes until tender, drain and set aside and let them cool slightly (4-5 minutes).
- While potatoes are cooking, chop celery, gherkin pickles and dill. Place in a big bowl.
- Add lemon juice through mayo and stir well. Because the creamer potatoes make the salad so creamy, the mayo is optional in this recipe.
- Add potatoes to the celery mixture.
- Stir well. The creamer potatoes will start to break down and create a mashed potato feel while the red potatoes will stay more of less intact.
- Taste mixture and adjust seasoning or lemon juice as needed.
- Serve warm or cold depending on preference.