Our days are starting to find a bit of routine. I’m still working everyday to set some kind of nap schedule. Some days are more successful than others. What has become more apparent lately is that Noe needs less of my undivided attention. She can go for 15-30 minutes happily playing on her play mat, hanging out in the swing or looking at/sucking on her hands.
These short intervals of independence for her have become like little contests for me. Can I take a shower and get dressed before she starts to fuss? Can I make the bed and clean the kitchen? How many emails can I send out? Currently, can I start and finish a blog post? I’ve always played these little games, these days there are just more opportunities to partake.
These noodles in almond sauce came from one such afternoon. Noe was on her play mat as I started browsing Tastespotting. I couldn’t find anything that looked appealing but my mind kept wandering to the newly acquired jar of almond butter in our fridge. I know this might sound weird but I’ve never bought or tasted almond butter before. Maybe it’s my unwavering affection for peanut butter and my rather ho-hum feelings about almonds but it has never been something worth considering before. Then it suddenly seemed like almond butter was in every recipe I was reading so I sought it out. Did you know that a jar of almond butter, on average, is like $8! What the what?! Thankfully I finally found some on sale but next time I’ll just make my own.
This is my long winded way of saying that I had some almond butter in my fridge, a hankering for some rice noodles and a 30 minute window in which to create a meal that turned out to be noodles in almond sauce.
I can’t decide if my peanut sauce would have been better, they have such a similar flavor but it was nice to have the nut butter effect without the overwhelming taste of peanut butter.
And in case you were wondering, yes, this meal can be made in less than 30 minutes and no this post was not written in one sitting.
- For the noodles and vegetables:
- ½ package of brown rice noodles
- 6 cups water for boiling
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ bunch of kale
- ½ bunch of asparagus, sliced into small pieces
- ¼ cup sliced green onion
- One carrot, julienned
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos, you can use soy sauce or tamari instead
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons of cooking water from the noodles
- juice of ½ lime
- Dash of garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper.
- Bring water and salt to boil.
- Add noodles and cook 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Remove noodles and then toss in vegetables for 2 minutes until soft but still crunchy.
- Remove vegetables and reserve ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Place noodles and veggies in a big bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for the almond sauce.
- Stir until well combine then pour over noodles and veggies.
- Toss everything together.
- Top with green onion slices.
Enjoy and Exhale!