Two of my best girlfriends were in town from California a few weeks ago to meet Noe. Like best friends are known to do, we did very little, but the visit still felt amazingly rich and full. There was no need to entertain, they just cuddled, rocked, sang and all around loved on Noe. We did a lot of sitting on the couch catching up and walking around the neighborhood. However, we did manage to get out for breakfast both mornings they were here and Noe slept through both occasions. It was actually quite lovely.
As my love affair with oats continues to remain strong, I ordered oatmeal on both mornings. My favorite came from Sunny’s, this adorable cafe. They have several different oatmeal bowls with toppings like toasted coconut, honey, fruit, nuts and jams. I’ve tried a few of the bowls but my favorite remains the peanut butter and jelly oats. What’s not to love, all my favorite things mixed into one bowl.
The heat of the oats melts the peanut butter and jelly down so that it’s easy to swirl into every bite. I like to add banana slices because well, it’s breakfast and bananas are the perfect breakfast food and I also add chopped peanuts, if I have them, for texture. This particular bowl had strawberries which paired well with the jam but I don’t think they make or break the dish.
I’ve found that it’s best to add a little peanut butter and jelly to the bottom of the bowl before pouring in the hot oats, then adding another dollop to the top. That way you aren’t left with just oats at the end, not the worst thing but let’s be honest, peanut butter tastes better than oats.
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- ½ cup oats of choice (I used quick cooking for this particular recipe but steel cut would be lovely as well)
- ¾ cup water
- Dash of salt
- 1 additional tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon jam of choice
- 1 banana, sliced
- Handful of chopped peanuts
- Place one tablespoon of peanut butter in the bottom of your bowl.
- Next mix oats, water and salt together in a pot.
- Pour oats over peanut butter.
- Add second tablespoon of peanut butter, jam, banana and peanuts to the top of the oats.
Enjoy and Exhale!