This post is a little longer than usual, but for good reason.
Earlier this week Quinoa, Kale and Exhale was nominated for a Leibster Award. It’s given to up-and-coming bloggers to offer them a little incentive to keep writing and sharing the love. Plus, it helps add a few new readers which never hurts. Larissa over at Love and Green Juice was nice enough to nominate my blog. Thank you Larissa.
Here’s how it works:
1.) Larissa nominated me, asking me 11 questions, which I will answer below.
2.) I then send a big thank you to Larissa in the form of the link back above and post this award logo.
3.) Next, I state 11 facts about myself. Then I nominate 11 up-and-coming bloggers and ask them to answer 11 questions and 11 facts about themselves. They then nominate 11 new bloggers and the cycle continues.
Here are Larissa’s questions for me:
- What do you do to relax? Yoga, of course! It helps balance out the craziness and bring a sense of well-being to my life.
- What is your go-to recipe on a busy day? Tofu taco salads. I love Mexican food and to me it’s the simplest of meals to make. Must be my California upbringing.
- Which year do you think back on with most fondness? 1998. My junior year of high school. There was something so innocent and exciting about being 17. If I could go back to any time it would be a Sunday night dinner with my family during that year.
- What time of day is your favourite? Morning. When the whole day is in front of you. It’s also when I’m most energetic and clear.
- What do you see if you look to the left? A napping kitty and puppy.
- Whose shoulder has collected the most of your tears? Without a doubt, my sister Sarah’s. My tell-it-like-it-is, laugh-and-cry-with-me best friend.
- What activity energizes you? Going for a run with Eli. I feel sluggish if I can’t get out for a good workout.
- What have you tried for the first time recently? Living away from San Francisco.
- Where do you drink your morning beverage (coffee/tea/smoothie)? I drink black tea at our dining room table overlooking the Charles River.
- What was the last gift you gave yourself? The freedom to quit my job and pursue teaching yoga full-time, although Michael also gave me this gift!
- What are you most grateful for right now? My family, my friends, my love, my health, my pets, good food, the ability to share my passion for healthy food with you all, sunshine, yoga, quinoa, kale, the power of nature to remind you how small you really are, wine, chocolate, the roof over my head, the warm bed I get to sleep in every night and the sense to know that I should be grateful for all these things and more.
11 Facts About Me:
- The fact that I’m doing this cracks me up. I read US Weekly religiously and always wondered what I’d say if I had to answer the 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me column that celebrities answer.
- I hit my brother in the head with a golf club when we were kids. He still loves me…I think.
- Eating grape leaves makes my nose itch. I don’t eat grape leaves.
- I hate when my feet get dirty. It makes teaching yoga barefoot a practice of tolerance.
- I secretly want to try out for the Next Food Network Star in hopes of finally getting a vegetarian show on that network.
- I’m clutter-phobic. Having too much stuff stresses me out. I apparently got that from my grandma and my Papa.
- When I was little my mom held out a red pepper and a cookie asking me which one I wanted. I chose the red pepper. True story.
- I have a super sonic sense of smell and often hold my breath when I pass other people on the street but not when I’m teaching yoga for some reason.
- If my sister calls me by my name I think she’s mad at me.
- I’m a huge country music fan but have a secret love of Usher and jazz as well.
- When I’m cooking I give my dog Eli tastes. I also show him each ingredient as we go while telling him its name so he can have a discerning palette. I’m pretty sure he’s actually human.
- Courtney’s lovely blog Healthy Girl and the City.
- Vanessa’s V is for Vegetables and her latest post on why everyone is so hung up on where vegans get their protein.
- Shira’s In Pursuit of More and her beautiful pictures.
- Brandi’s The Healthy Flavor with all its yummy vegan treats.
- Thom’s Don’t Switch Out the Light with its great message about living life to the fullest.
- Anna’s Raised From Scratch that introduced me to mesquite powder for baking!
- Gluten Free Glow’s inspiration when I’m in a GF rut.
- Jen’s blog Jennovafoodblog and her amazing rock climbing photos.
- Bigg Sis and Little Sis’ My Sister’s Pantry and their super cute idea to both write a blog together.
- Jess’ blog A Lot on Your Plate offering up creative inspiration and recipes.
- The very new running blog Yooperrunnergirl and her post on running for the fun of it.
My questions for my nominees:
- If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
- Where is your happy place?
- What is your favorite quality about yourself?
- Which of your 5 senses would you give up if you had to choose one?
- If you weren’t doing the job you’re doing now what would you do?
- What’s one thing you’ve been too scared to attempt?
- Name one thing that makes you lose your temper automatically.
- What is your favorite book of all time?
- Which song makes you feel like dancing every time you hear it?
- How do you de-stress from a hectic day?
- Why did you start your blog?
Hope you enjoyed a list insight into my quirky-ness and as always, thank you so much for continuing to read my ramblings.