Every so often someone searches quinoa smoothie and lands on my site. I had never thought to add this wonderful little food to my drinks before but curiosity got the best of me this morning. I was working to meet my day’s calcium quota with a breakfast smoothie when I spotted some leftover quinoa from yesterday’s lunch. Now seemed like as good a time as any to try out a quinoa smoothie.
While thinking about ways to make yet another smoothie a little different, pina coladas came to mind. I’m not sure if it’s our upcoming trip to Hawaii or the rainy weather but a bright, summery, mock tail smoothie sounded amazing. To make my mock tail smoothie a healthy one I decided to add spinach and top it with some quinoa, because, why not?
The quinoa gave an amazing texture to this smoothie. And there’s something so satisfying about knowing that you’ve had so many superfoods before the day’s even started.
A quick note on substitutions: I think the coconut milk really makes this smoothie so I highly recommend using it here but if you don’t have any on hand, 1 cup of a milk of your choice will work. You’ll just lose a little of the pina colada taste.
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- Optional: Top with some almond butter or coconut flakes.
- If you don't have quinoa already made, make your quinoa and let it cool slightly while you make your smoothie.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or measuring cup if you're using an immersion blender.
- Blend until well combine.
- Add quinoa and coconut flakes to the top.