Do you still worry about your child choking? When does that stop? Ever? I feel like I’m going to be that mom that is slicing grapes in quarters until my kid is 16. Like pretty much everything in parenting, it’s terrifying. So I take precautions, like feeding her those teeny tiny champagne grapes instead of full size ones, avoiding any sort of lettuce or kale because she just can’t understand that it needs to be chewed and not swallowed whole, and steaming the heck out of most of her veggies. This recipe came about while thinking about soft carrots, yes, a weird thing to think (and write!) But instead of steaming the carrots to make them tender, I let the oven work it’s magic and voila, this dish: roasted carrots with wasabi mayo was born.
I prefer to use mini multi colored carrots because they looked pretty and Noe can hold the stems while eating them. And if I were ever to throw a fancy party, which is unlikely because most of my friends have kids or would laugh at me if I said, ” hey let’s have a fancy dinner party”, I would make these as passed hors d’oeurves. But, if you’re like me and making these for yourself or your family, you can skip the fancy carrots all together and just use regular old orange ones cut into match sticks or simply use baby carrots.
The wasabi mayo pairs really nicely with the sweetness of the carrots and it’s one of my favorite dipping sauces. But it’s not really intended for Noe. However, when she wakes up from her nap I might just put a tiny bit of the sauce on a carrot and seeing what happens 🙂 Cruel? Or expanding her palate? Truth be told, the wasabi mayo can be really mild or crazy strong, you can adjust the sting to your preference.
- 2 bunches of baby carrots with tops trimmed to about 3 inches from the top (reglar carrots cut into match sticks or baby carrots can be substitued)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup mayo, I used vegan mayo but regular is fine
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste, adjust according to your heat preference
- 2 tablespoons milk to thin out sauce
- Pinch of salt
- Cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Cut carrot stems to about 3 inches above the top of the carrots.
- Massage carrots with coconut oil and place on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until a knife can slide through easily
- While carrots are roasting, combine mayo, wasabi paste, milk and salt.
- Stir until well incorporated.
- Once carrots are done serve with the wasabi mayo on the side.
- Sprinkle on some cilantro or parsley, if using.