When I’m sick I can’t muster up the will to eat my normal plethora of vegetables. I want nothing with sweet potatoes or broccoli. The best I can do over the past few days is my morning smoothie and a bowl of frozen peas. But, I knew things were looking up today when I started craving a big salad this afternoon. So I whipped up a kale salad with tahini cashew dressing and all is right in the world again.
I think I’ve mentioned it before but I much rather prefer lightly steamed kale to raw but everyone constantly raves about raw kale salads so I thought I’d give it one more shot. This time I used Tuscan kale instead of curly and added in some spinach. Tuscan kale has a milder flavor and wilts a little better when massaged with dressing and has become my favorite go to green for salads.
I topped the kale/spinach mixture with avocado, tomatoes, my perfect tofu, some quinoa and a big dose of this tahini cashew dressing, which I just love. It’s the perfect, healthy, mid-day lunch salad that keeps me full all afternoon long.
Tahini Cashew Dressing (vegan + gluten-free)
- ½ cup soaked cashews with 2 tablespoons reserved soaking water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon garlic infused olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for at least 2-4 hours. The longer they soak the smoother the consistency will be.
- Drain most of the water but reserve a few tablespoons. Place cashews and reserved liquid into a food processor. Add all ingredients through cayenne pepper.
- Processes for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Adjust flavoring to taste.